15.1.15

First Time, Be Gentle - Chris Shaw (and possible additional mystery artist)

CURATOR'S NOTE: The Humans of New York Facebook feed posted this kid's photo [ fb post ] and his intense eye color made the blogosphere swoon: over a quarter-million Facebook LIKEs (!) poured in within a fortnight. The photo caption, a quote from The Art Kid With The Eyes got my attention: “I’ve watched a lot of people who did worse than me in art school go on to have their own shows, and I’ve decided that some people just know how to make moves. I always hoped that after I graduated, someone would discover me, but it doesn’t really work that way. You have to network and create opportunities, but I’m not good at that, because I get nervous and overly quiet in social situations. I normally end up getting discouraged, and going back to my basement to paint.” Well, I can empathize with that --and his paintings please me. Artists should try to help fellow artists, after all. The Art Kid With The Eyes has a name: he's Chris Shaw [ web ]. Some of his paintings follow. (By the way, his pictures would pair well with those of a certain friend of mine who has done impressive arts advocacy and human rights work, and who also paints; I hope to add a few of her images to this virtual exhibit.) Like usual for ARTspace99, this exhibit is non-commercial/non-selling, and any parties wishing to acquire an image/installation/etc must consult the original image-makers (see their web link/s above). --Terry Ward (AKA GrumpyVisualArtist) [ www ]


Group below, thanks to: Chris Shaw (and "hat tip" to Humans of New York") Copyright: the artist.




















Group below, thanks to: _____________ (here is where I hope to put a few images from "possible additional mystery artist") Copyright: the artist.
.
.
.
.
.



TOP

Shortcut URL to this page:
http://bit.ly/1BxQF5M